Employment Authorization Document

and Advanced Parole with I-485

Adjustment of Status Filing




When filing for Adjustment of Status, a person can also file an application for a Combination Advance Parole and Employment Authorization Card (the so-called "combo card").  The card permits a person to work in the United States and to travel abroad and return to the United States while the Form I-485 Adjustment of Status application is pending.  Unfortunately the combo card does not reduce the filing fees, but it is no longer necessary to carry separate documents for these benefits.  


The combo card can be presented to any employer at any time before its expiration date to show that a person is authorized to work in United States.  This card can also be shown as evidence that a person has not abandoned his or her Form I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status when he or she travels abroad.  The card is valid for multiple entries into the United States (up until the card's expiration date).  To receive the combo card, the I-539 Application for Employment Authorization and I-131 Application for Travel Document must be filed together (a separate form is not needed).  The combo card is only available to people applying for Adjustment of Status and will only be issued if the applications are filed together; otherwise a person might be required to carry separate documents for work authorization and advance parole.